Top Newspapers in Kolkata
Kolkata is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal. According to the 2011 Indian census, Kolkata is the seventh-most populous city in India, with a population of 45 lakh (4.5 million) residents within the city limits, and a population of over 1.41 crore (14.1 million) residents in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area. It is the third-most populous metropolitan area in India.
The first newspaper in India, the Bengal Gazette started publishing from the city in 1780. The Statesman and The Telegraph are two major English-language newspapers that are produced and published in Kolkata. English Newspapers are primarily read in Kolkata City but Bengali Newspapers also have a wider circulation. Telegraph leads in English daily and Ananda Bazaar Patrika is the top Bengali Newspaper.
Major periodicals based in Kolkata include Desh, Sananda, Saptahik Bartaman, Unish-Kuri, Anandalok and Anandamela. Historically, Kolkata has been the centre of the Bengali little magazine movement.
Let’s have a look at the Top Newspapers in Kolkata
Top English Newspapers in Kolkata
Telegraph is the most-read English Newspaper in Kolkatta followed by the Times of India & Statesman. Other popular English-language newspapers published and sold in Kolkata include The Hindu and the Asian Age.
Kolkata has several high-circulation financial dailies, including The Economic Times, The Financial Express, Business Line, and Business Standard.
- Times of India
- The Indian Express
- Economics Times
Top Bengali Newspapers in Kolkata
Ananda Bazar Patrika is a Leading Bengali newspaper closely followed by Bartaman. As per the readership survey, Ananda Bazar Patrika with an Average issue readership of 30.32 lakhs is No.1 Bengali newspaper in West Bengal followed by Bartaman & Ei Samay. Uttar Banga Sambad & Sangbad Pratidin also have a good readership. Other Bengali Newspapers are Aajkaal, Dainik Statesman, and Ganashakti.
Let’s have look at the top Bengali newspapers
- Ananda Bazar Patrika – 30.32 lakhs
- Bartaman – 27.50 lakhs
- Ei Samay – 8.29 lakhs
- Uttar Banga Sambad – 5.02 lakhs
- Sangbad Pratidin – 4.85 lakhs
*Circulation figures are for West Bengal State
- Top Newspapers in Bangalore | Bengaluru Newspapers List
- Top Newspapers in Kolkata | English Newspaper in Kolkata
- Top Newspapers in Mumbai | English Newspaper in Mumbai
- Top Newspapers in Chennai | English Newspapers in Chennai
- Top Newspapers in Hyderabad | English Newspaper in Hyderabad
- Top Newspapers in Assam | Top Assamese Newspapers
- Top Newspapers in West Bengal | Top Bengali Newspapers
- Top Newspapers in Odisha | Top Odia Newsapapers
- Top Newspapers in Telangana | Top Telgu Newspapers in Telangana
- Top Newspapers in Andhra Pradesh | Top Telgu Newspapers in AP